47 Ronin Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Introduce yourself

+11
HallnOats083
keyser soze
MurderouS
Electric Wizard
Dr. Fight
samtastic
BuffaloBill
SmashPass
JHan
b_toe_m
_dub_
15 posters

Go down

Introduce yourself Empty Introduce yourself

Post  _dub_ Sun May 17, 2009 3:49 pm

I wanted to start a thread where everyone can introduce themselves so we can get to know a little more about each other.

I'll start:

My name is Mike, but people call me "dub". I'm originally from Long Island (if you've talked to me, you probably have picked up on that by now...), but have been in Buffalo for 13 years! I've been grappling in one form or another for a little over 6 years now. I started training BJJ in January of 2006. I earned my blue belt in May of 2007 after testing with BJJ legend, Ricardo De La Riva Goded. In January of 2009 I left my former instructor and started training under Kyle Saunders, a Roy Harris black belt, in Rochester, NY. I currently train 5 days a week and am working diligently towards earning my purple belt and growing the level of BJJ in Buffalo, NY. I also own a video production business called APV Productions. I mostly just do weddings on the weekends though I have shot for television in the past. It pays the bills, but is no longer my true passion. I am married (sorry ladies ) and have an 8 month old son, named Logan. I also have a degree in Communications from Buffalo State College.

Last edited by _dub_ on Wed May 20, 2009 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
_dub_
_dub_
Admin
Admin

http://www.47RoninBJJ.com

Back to top Go down

Introduce yourself Empty Intro

Post  b_toe_m Sun May 17, 2009 6:07 pm

My name is Brian - buffalo, NY. I've done a bit of sambo a few years ago and some different forms of grappling (not sure what style) on and off. I just started BJJ this year - 2009 at 47 Ronin and can't get enough of it.
b_toe_m
b_toe_m

Back to top Go down

Introduce yourself Empty Re: Introduce yourself

Post  JHan Sun May 17, 2009 9:50 pm

Hello all. I'm Jim. My background in combat sports started with a couple of years of wrestling in high school, During that time I also did a few months of Karate or Tae Kwon Do (can't remember which one it was). I currently do some Danzan Ryu Jujitsu when time permits.

My journey in BJJ began about 3 yrs ago when I attended a Carlson Gracie, Jr. seminar at WNYMMA. I was the only guy there without a gi and needless to say it was a very humbling experience. At one point Prof. Gracie came over to correct a mistake I was making and he advised me to start with my guard closed - to which I asked "what's a guard?". I figure if you have to ask a man named Gracie what a guard is then you are truly starting at square one.

I am married and have two daughters, 7 and 9 years old. My girls have also participated in both Judo and BJJ but unless the Jonas Brothers start sporting gis I doubt that I can keep them interested for very long.

For being such a young institution 47- Ronin already has some really good people and talanted grapplers. I look forward to learning from and helping all of our training partners.

JHan

Back to top Go down

Post  SmashPass Mon May 18, 2009 12:08 am

My name is Emil, and I'm originally from the Rochester area. I started BJJ at a club at Binghamton University and after getting tossed around like a chew toy, I've been hooked. I got my blue belt from Kyle Saunders in 2006, and am working with dubs on that next rank. I'm currently teaching Monday nights, and I try to make it as many times during the week as I can. Also, I just finished my degree from UB, and am applying to osteopathic school for the fall of 2010. Other than BJJ, I'm pretty much a bum.
SmashPass
SmashPass

Back to top Go down

Post  BuffaloBill Mon May 18, 2009 3:24 pm

My name is Bill and I started training BJJ in Oct of 07 where I met both Dub and Jordon, and have trained off and on throughout this period. Since my relocation to Ronin I have really wanted to train as much as I can at least trying to attend at least 2 times per week, which may not sound like a lot, but I work a ton of hours. I am the Sales Manager for Northtown Automotive (Subliminal message inserted here...its time to buy a car call screw Fuccillio and West Herr, Northtown Rules!.....sorry about the failed humor attempt) so my hours do not permit me to do more!

I am a father of 2 kids. My daughter Kennady is 8 and was training BJJ until my departure from my last gym, and much like Jim its hard to keep that focus with all that they do at that age.

I have a son Carter (I know, I know the whole Presidents theme….completely by accident I assure you, thus we will not have anymore kids, can you imagine an Obama Keefe????) anyway my son is 4 and is always on my mats rolling around so I am keeping my fingers crossed he stays into it.

I will say that I love training at Ronin, the school is amazing and I thought that it was the level of instruction, that made it so, I now think it is more, I think that it maybe the fact that it feels like everyone here actually cares about making everyone better and not just themselves, which makes this a kick ass school.

I am looking forward to getting back to training my mouth is completely healed so I am ready to get my old ass back to class!

Bill

BuffaloBill

Back to top Go down

Post  b_toe_m Mon May 18, 2009 6:03 pm

I forgot the most important info:
I have 2 boys; Joshua - 6 and Riley - 10months. And married to a very loving wife - Linda (who can pretty much destroy anyone in hockey. I'm sure the few of you that know her will agree).
I would like to get my 6 year old involved in BJJ soon; we'll see what 47Ronin holds in the future for kid classes (yes, that was a hint for Dub). Later!
b_toe_m
b_toe_m

Back to top Go down

Post  samtastic Wed May 20, 2009 2:24 pm

My name is Sam, I decided to start doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu on a whim and it seems to be sticking. I came across 47 ronin on the internets and it was the first place I checked out, so lucky me on finding a group of dudes that will let a little chick like me roll around with them, thanks guys.

Like dubs I come from Long Island and everything you've heard about LI is true but don't hate. I went to school in Boston so the Bahstin accent and my Lawnguylind accent have cancelled each other out and I now talk like a normal human being. I have a BFA in Illustration so yes, I can draw or paint anything you like, will I? How much money do you have?

I'm looking forward to learning everything I can, improving my technique and training with everyone I've met so far as well as new people along the way!
samtastic
samtastic

http://samskrits.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  _dub_ Wed May 20, 2009 3:55 pm

^
You're from Long Island? How did I not know that? Or did I?

Last edited by _dub_ on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
_dub_
_dub_
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JHan Wed May 20, 2009 10:52 pm

Sam,
Did you draw the triceratops in your avatar? My younger daughter, Allie, has shown a real aptitude for art and has told me that she intends to be an art teacher when she grows up. She draws dinosaurs (and fairies, dogs, Disney princesses, etc.) all the time.

JHan

Back to top Go down

Post  samtastic Thu May 21, 2009 12:06 am

JHan wrote:Sam,
Did you draw the triceratops in your avatar? My younger daughter, Allie, has shown a real aptitude for art and has told me that she intends to be an art teacher when she grows up. She draws dinosaurs (and fairies, dogs, Disney princesses, etc.) all the time.

Nope, that's straight Google images but for shameless self promotion here's my blog: www.samskrits.blogspot.com
samtastic
samtastic

http://samskrits.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Fight Fri May 22, 2009 12:12 pm

I like BJJ.

Last edited by _dub_ on Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:24 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : spelling.)

Dr. Fight

Back to top Go down

Post  Electric Wizard Fri May 22, 2009 3:45 pm

My name is Paul and before three months ago I had absolutely no martial arts background. Basically, I'm the most laid back person on the planet and never thought that any form of fighting would be something that interested me. So far I'm not sure about the fighting part, but getting beat up seems to be going pretty well for me! Mike K. and Dave, both long time friends, got me into BJJ and after the seminar with Kyle Saunders I was sold.

As for what I do outside of BJJ, anyone that knows me knows I'm a super nerd. If I'm not in a museum I'm in a library. I work for the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society (Buffalo history museum) in the exhibits department. I design, build, and install various aspects of exhibits. I am also one semester into grad school, working on an MA in American History. It's WAY too much work and consumes every minute I'm not at work or on the mat. Summer time has come though!
Electric Wizard
Electric Wizard

Location : At the other end of that arm you're trying to break.

Back to top Go down

Post  SmashPass Fri May 22, 2009 5:27 pm

A brief history of Mike... I want my 6 minutes back!
SmashPass
SmashPass

Back to top Go down

Post  Dr. Fight Fri May 22, 2009 6:34 pm

Sorry smasher! Hope you got a good laugh, I rant often at work.

Dr. Fight

Back to top Go down

Post  MurderouS Sat May 23, 2009 12:10 pm

If I ever go back to school I know who I'm doing my biography report on.

MurderouS

Back to top Go down

Post  keyser soze Sun May 24, 2009 4:18 pm

My name is Rich and ive been at 47 ronin for about 2 months, one day a week. Before this I trained at buffalo bjj for a little while, but they didnt really teach anything for guys just starting out, with the exception of Mike and when i found out he was teaching at 47 ronin, i decided to switch schools. I also train in muay thai/kali/jeet kune do. I wasted a year training in watered down krav maga at the training edge and dabbled in capoeira, which is cool as hell but i dont have any time for it.

I work as a lineman for national grid, so if you are ever out of power its because i probably blew something up by accident. Sorry in advance. Other than that, I play guitar, rock climb, crossfit once in a while, and am currently training for a triathalon, which is going to suck.

Thats pretty much it, look forward to continue training with everyone

keyser soze

Back to top Go down

Post  HallnOats083 Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:14 pm

My name is Jon. Last night was my first time doing any type of grappling. My only background at all is coaching a couple years of wrestling and by coaching I mean learning as much as I can each day technique wise and making kids run for the fun of it.

I recently moved to Orchard Park (less than a week ago) and first heard of 47 Ronin through a coworker. I've been looking forward to starting training for quite a while now and am glad I'm finally living in a place where that is possible.

I'm hoping to train every chance I can even though at this point I know virtually nothing. The only way to get better is by getting mat time so that's exactly what I plan on doing.

HallnOats083

Back to top Go down

Post  YouTube Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:03 pm

My name is Mike. I'm 27 : ( ( I act a lot younger though). I've been doing BJJ for 1 year 8 months now..I've always been interested in learning it ever since watching the first 4 UFC's but was never aware people were teaching it around here. I got my first heads up while I was working in recovery room. Dr. Hanna (Jim) saw some of my UFC magazines or w/e they were and asked whose they were. I said they were mine and he told me there is a place in Lockport that teaches BJJ and they have a free 2 week trial. He was kind enough to loan me an extra gi he had..needless to say, I've enjoyed it ever since..I am very grateful for the opportunity..Currently I train 2x a week in the gi. I did a few months of no gi but didn't really enjoy it. I am a very dedicated person who hardly ever misses class. I feel I am a good training partner and I try to teach people what I know and what works for me and learn what other people know and what works for them. I youtube bjj literally everyday trying to find something new. I've been doing sports every since I was a hyperactive kid. When I was like 2 or 3 I had really bad asthma and had to be in a hospital oxygen tent for awhile. From there my doctor decided swimming would be a good idea to help with that. Since then I've just about done every sport. Gymnastics, karate, volleyball, baseball, floor/roller/ hockey, football, tennis, bowling etc. etc. etc..In high school I lettered 10 times. I am motivated more by loses than wins. Once I meet you I consider us friends for life, lol. I am a very loyal friend. I enjoy comedy. I can laugh at myself as well. I believe in Karma and everything happens for a reason..I look forward to meeting and training with all of you. Mike Schultz
YouTube
YouTube

Back to top Go down

Post  happycamper Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:48 pm

My name is Austen. I live in the town of tonowanda and im 14 im in 9th grade and i proudly go to kenmore west high school.i found this sport when i was watching ufc unleashed. I origanly thought that i could probobly take it at like the YMCA and it wasnt as big as i thought it would be. so then one day i was bored and desited to look it up in google. and found 47 ronin bjj and i was pumped. So as soon as i got the number(i made my mom call) i wanted to sign up right away and within 2 or 3 days i was in their training. Ive done karate for a couple of years and i wrestled for about 1 year. Well i really dont know what else to say exept like i play volleyball, rugby , and ive been skiing for about 10 years. Well i guess when dub said that you can get a brazilian jiu jitsu bug he wasnt leing. I hope to continue this and thanks for letting me train with you guys

happycamper

Back to top Go down

Post  _dub_ Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:20 pm

Austen, it's great to have you and Mike with us now. I hope you guys stick with it.
_dub_
_dub_
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  ThrowinFives Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:53 pm

For those that don't already no me, I am Corey. I run the striking program at WNY BJJ & Kickboxing. I began kickboxing when I was 10 or so and have been training ever since. I have competed in boxing, kickboxing, NoGi bjj, and mma...

ThrowinFives

Back to top Go down

Post  chucknorris<me Mon Nov 30, 2009 11:18 pm

Im Mike broskis! Im 15 in the 9th grade haha i got to ken west highschool and i found this place out online i couldent decide whether to do kick boxing or brazilian jiu jitsu and after much thought i did brazilian jiu jitsu and im happy i chose it and i wanna stick to it!

HOLLA!

chucknorris<me

Back to top Go down

Post  YouTube Tue Dec 01, 2009 5:50 pm

hope you gangsta's keep at it...it can be very frustrating at 1st..hell i've been doing it almost 2 years and it still gets frustrating at times for me..at 1st you'll be getting tapped out all the time(dont worry, noone comes into their 1st classes without it happening)..few months later fewer taps...months after that even fewer taps maybe even a submission or 2..months later taps farther and fewer in between..you'll be seeing new faces and you'll really see how much you've progressed when you have your way with them and their tapping YOUR gi..anyways, we have a really good team and I think it is very Team/family/goal oriented..we're always around to help eachother grow and get better..so if you guys ever have any questions even if they seem dumb don't hesitate to ask..you'll never know unless you ask..great to have you guys part of the team..
YouTube
YouTube

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum